Sunday, February 25, 2007

Non-Scale Victories ...

OK, a little scale victory too, as of this morning. I am back at the low of 188.8.

However, on to the non-scale victories (NSVs). I've been reading a lot of bloggers lately who talk about their NSVs. Because my loss is slow and steady, it's good to focus on those moments to keep the motivation alive.

Here, for your reading pleasure, a couple of the NSVs. The past week has been a very rotten-snack sort of week. Yesterday, there were no cruddy-carb moments. Despite a highly emotional day (involving television, how I feel like the TV is invading every space in my life and that leads to how I feel like a bad parent when I let the kids watch so much television, how I'm a bad parent in general...etc., etc. [TV = The Devil's Babysitter: discuss.]), yes, despite all this, I didn't medicate my feelings with food. I processed them, talked through them with DH (OK, cried and was totally emotional about it all), but I dealt with the feeling, moved through the feeling, and moved on with my day, in a better place for having done that. That's a pretty big NSV.

Another one - this morning, I sat down with my bowl of yogurt and muesli, started eating it, thought "I'm not really hungry," and decided to put it away and finish it later. Which I did, around 10:30. How very sensible, and in tune with my hunger pangs.

This afternoon, not an hour after a really tasty lunch, I found myself heading for the pantry, thought "What am I doing here? How do I feel? I feel irritated. OK, that's not hunger. Get out of the pantry." The amazing thing? It worked! That's an NSV for sure.

I'd like to be that "in tune" with myself every day.

3 comments:

Debbi said...

Just think if you could bottle that resolve and good sense for later use ... or to sell on an infomercial? Heh. Great job! Keep up the good work!

Susie J. said...

GREAT JOB!! Those are wonderful NSVs! Now... pass some of that mojo my way!

Lynn said...

I am really impressed with you Susie!! You are doing a fantastic job. Losing weight is so hard to do (unless you lose it by being sick, but then keeping it off is the hardest thing to do!). Keep it up!