Thursday, February 1, 2007

Thoughts on Food

I've noticed something interesting in the waves and waves of weight-loss-blog-surfing I've been doing this past month. There are a lot of people who seem to survive on 80% carbs, and not complex carbs, out there, even some people who've gotten to goal weight. I look at some of the FitDay links or daily posts on food and see granola bar, toast, chai tea, sandwich with cheese, salad, WW cookie, popcorn, spagetti with 5 shrimp, Skinny Cow ice cream etc. (I'm totally making this up, by the by, from my assimilation of the food reports).

To me, a diet so heavy in carbs and light on protein would not be satisfying. If I start out eating toast in the AM, by 10 o'clock I'm ready for something rightnowthissecond. The days I hit 25% protein, 25% fat and the rest carbs seem to be really good days for not bingeing. Thoughts, anyone out there? Do you find it hard to stay calorie-controlled if it's all carbs?

3 comments:

Mal said...

I could not agree more. I know that my tendency is to eat toast and pasta and ice cream and just do so in a manner that still meets the "requirements" for weight loss. But, when I can force myself to eat more veggies, lean proteins, and good fats, I just FEEL better. And yes, less likely to get really hungry. Less likely to binge.

Susie H said...

Thanks for stopping by, Mal! I like your own blog too, by the by - just surfed over and saw that ring re-sizing picture. Woohoo!

Lori G. said...

I agree with you too; a nutritionist told me to make sure that when I eat lunch that I have some protein so I can make it through the afternoon. (She was also referring to the habit of many women I worked with at that time to just eat a salad only for lunch. She said you can't do that and make it through the afternoon without being hungry.)

I'm just looking through your post now -- it looks really good and congrats on the weight loss!