Monday, February 19, 2007

A Splurgey Evening, and How I Dealt.

So, we decided to go to Frankie and Benny's tonight for dinner. It's a Italian-American themed restaurant here in England, with a decent kid menu and kid-tertainment packets. The kids were thrilled with their magnetic Ludo games and those crayons that have 12 different color tips in one pen. Small D had a good, extremely thin crust pizza; Lily had real chicken tenders with a side of broccoli.

The adult food at this place is uneven - I've had really awful dishes and really good dishes. I ordered the salmon cakes, skipped the side of herbed potatoes that turned out to be deep fried potato chunks, and shared a MONSTER brownie dessert thing with David. Plus a double espresso.

Dinner choice: Middle of the road, but tasty. The dessert: Yummy. The calorie count: Large. The good thing? I didn't choose something completely counterproductive like Penne Carbonara. The other good thing? I logged it in my FitDay tracker, just like any other meal, and moved on. Do I want another massive brownie dessert? Nope, probably not anytime soon. In fact, next time we go to Frankie and Benny's I might just order for the kiddlies, and stick with the espresso. It was the best thing I had tonight.

I'm feeling good about the fact that I ate what I wanted, logged it, noted the high fat content, and moved on. I'm not thinking, "Aiyeeee! Lord, I've been bad. Now I'll go home and polish off a packet of bourbon cream biscuits." I'm thinking, "That was pretty tasty. Not my usual, but OK once in a while."

It's only food. Isn't that amazing?

No comments: