Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Clutter

I've logged my food in FitDay for 4 days now. Seeing the effect the dietary "clutter" had on my nutritional pie charts (see Jan 14 for a loooovely example of how quiche can kill a girl) is a good incentive to choose something better the next time around (see Jan 15). Drinking water, eliminating bread and sugar and caffeine nearly completely for the last few days, it's all making a difference. I feel clearer-headed. I also feel less hungry than I did last week.

As I remove some of the clutter in my diet (replacing it with water, and spinach, these past couple days, methinks), I'm thinking again about the clutter in our home. I've been starting over with Flylady, from Day 1, and it's starting to sink in a little bit again. Today, I tackled the guest room, a room I've been avoiding for months because I just throw stuff in there when I clean other areas. I didn't go crazy. Just 5 minutes at a time, a la Flylady. After four 5-min rounds, I can see a difference. I can also see some of the floor!

This is the strategy that's working with food clutter, too. Little steps, like adding in water for several days, even while I wasn't watching the food at all. Then adding a green thing in every day...a lot easier than I remembered. After some babystepping with this, my body was more willing to give up its dependence on the sugar, floury group. That's gone well, but we'll see how it goes. Starch is a downfall for me.

Fats are another thing - cheese and butter....mmm. By cutting out toast for breakfast, I cut out all the butter I slather on. Cheese - I bought some reduced fat cheese, and haven't really eaten much of that yet. But I am weighing it when I eat it, and writing it down, instead of having a hunk, and then another hunk, and another.

No comments: