Thursday, January 3, 2008

January, January...

A New Year means time to wake up and smell the coffee, or perhaps more accurately, get up and put down the mince pies.

As you can see from the sidebar, my weight has skedaddled back up. I put back on 20 of the 27 or so pounds I lost this past winter/spring. I forgive myself, and I know a lot of it was emotional/comfort eating. However, that being said, the best way to deal with grief is NOT eating yourself into an early grave.

The second half of 2007 wasn't all bad. Our trip home for Mom's memorial was all I could have wished. Wonderful time with family and friends, and a truly lovely goodbye to Mom. Once we were back here, David was home all year after the Germany stint, until mid-December. The kids were, as always, a source of amusement and joy. The garden looked great, especially after Mole Man (really Mole Boy) did a third pass, chasing the little buggers out completely. There were several quick trips to London. I found a good new friend who is creative and funny and wants to get fitter. Around September, I started to crawl out of my depression and sadness. And it's good to be alive.

Baby steps here toward renewed fitness. I weighed in on New Year's Day, and will weigh in each week. I threw away the mince pies (biggest downfall for me in a British Christmas). I stocked up on fruits, if not veg. I'm drinking water again.

Next baby step: eliminate post-dinner snacks.

I'll be back. Nag me if I'm not, if you're reading this...

1 comment:

Annalea said...

Nag? Nah. I'm not casting any stones around here . . . I've been out of it for nearly as long as you have, Susie. But I might send you a gentle reminder after a long silence. ;o) Here's to better fitness in 2008! (I'm up to 190 with this pregnancy--up 26lbs, ACK!--and still have 14 weeks to go. Wish me luck . . . I'm off to see if the gym will sell me a quarterly membership.)